The DeSoto County Sheriff’s Office Dive Team is comprised of members that meet the training and physical requirements necessary to perform duty as Underwater Recovery Specialists. These volunteers are made up of Detectives and Road Patrol Deputies within our agency. The team conducts underwater searches for missing persons and/or performs forensic underwater searches for physical evidence within bodies of water located in DeSoto County. Other duties include surface searches, ground searches, and rescue and safety operations.
The DeSoto County S.W.A.T. are trained to perform high-risk operations that fall outside of the abilities of regular officers, including serving high-risk arrest warrants, barricaded suspects, hostage rescue, and engaging heavily-armed criminals. The S.W.A.T. team is equipped with specialized firearms including assault rifles, sub-machine guns, shotguns, carbines, riot control devices, stun grenades, and high-powered rifles for snipers. They have specialized equipment including heavy body armor, entry tools, advanced night vision optics for covertly determining the positions of hostages or hostage takers inside of an enclosed structure.
S.W.A.T. Duties Include:
- Hostage rescue
- Crime suppression
- Perimeter security against snipers for visiting dignitaries
- Providing superior assault firepower in certain situations, e.g. barricaded suspects
- Rescuing officers and citizens captured or endangered by gunfire
- Resolve high-risk situations with a minimum loss of life, injury or property damage
- Resolve situations involving barricaded subjects
- Stabilize situations involving high-risk suicidal subjects
- Provide assistance on drug raids, arrest warrants and search warrant service
- Provide additional security at special events
- Stabilizing dangerous situations dealing with violent criminals (such as rapists, serial killers or gangs)